What we do
At CHILDLINE, we follow an action process which starts at the first call and continues till the child in need of care and protection is safely rehabilitated. To put it simply, our work includes several stages which are:
- Call 1098 – Any child or a concerned adult can dial the CHILDLINE 1098 helpline, which operates night and day.
- Connected to CHILDLINE centre – The call is received by the CHILDLINE centre where details about the situation are taken from the caller and CHILDLINE units are mobilised if necessary.
- Rescue in 60 minutes – Once CHILDLINE has enough details about child or children in distress, the CHILDLINE team rushes to help children within 60 minutes to bring children out of an emergency situation.
- Intervention – Once CHILDLINE intervenes help the child, it works with multiple stakeholders such as police authorities, child protection boards, social workers and counsellors. Children’s consent and participation is an important component of this process from response to intervention.
- Rehabilitation and Follow Up – After the interventions, to ensure the child’s continued safety, CHILDLINE proceeds to find long-term rehabilitation for the child. For this, the CHILDLINE team does constant follow ups with the child – meeting the family or the visiting the shelter if a child has beenb assigned to stay in one.